by Tom Shaheen, Vice President, Pennsylvania Family Institute
This is another INSIDE look at what the Supreme Court upheld today. It’s STILL bad law!
Make no mistake, despite the promises and empty claims of President Obama and defenders of the controversial “Affordable Care Act,” this federal takeover of our healthcare system would STILL force Americans to pay for abortions – against our beliefs and consciences.
Taxpayer Funding of Abortion is woven into the healthcare law in several ways that must now be addressed by Congress, including:
• Failing to prohibit the use of federal tax dollars for abortion, abortion coverage, and abortion-inducing drugs and devices.
• Pretending that the Hyde Amendment protections were enough to prohibit direct payment for abortions.
• Permitting federally-subsidized Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) to provide abortion coverage through the state insurance exchanges required in all 50 states.
• Failing to prohibit all multi-state qualified health plans from providing coverage for abortion.
• Including a “preventive care” mandate that is being used to force coverage of birth control drugs and devices known to end life.
• Failing to provide comprehensive First Amendment conscience protections for individuals, employers, and insurance companies that have religious or moral objections to abortion.
(Thanks to our allies at Americans United for Life for this analysis. aul.org)