What we’re reading:
- The Philly Abortion Giveaway Jillian Bandes, Townhall.com (9 June, 2009) -In “honor” of George Tiller, the Philadelphia’s Women Center gave away free abortions yesterday. As Dr. Charmaine Yoest (the president and CEO of Americans United for Life) said, “It’s really sad that they would give away for free without recognizing that in an emotional sense abortion is very costly.”
- The Abortion Issue We’re Ignoring Barbara Kay, National Post (10 June, 2009) -Women who receive induced abortions have a higher risk of preterm birth defects when they actually want to have a child. Kay also lists some statistics: there are “about one million abortions in the U.S. and 14 million worldwide,” not to mention 46% of the abortions performed in the U.S. are repeats. So now we have not only killed 14 million people worldwide, but we have also created the possibility that future children -born from parents who have received abortions- will have defects. We are hurting life: the life of mothers who have abortions, the life of the aborted, and the life of future children. However, I don’t think we needed science to tell us that.
- Vermont School District Funds Gender Program CitizenLink (10 June, 2009) -Not just two biological sexes are being taught in an after-school program, but “a world full of different genders.”
- Parents, Pennsylvania Lawmakers Weigh in on Proposed Sex ed Changes Mike Wereschagin, Tribune-Review (10 June, 2009) -Two bills are in the legislature to teach more than abstinence in schools.
- Same-Sex Marriage and the Death of Tradition Carson Holloway, First Things (10 June, 2009) -Society “is not just refusing to be ruled by the past,” when considering same-sex marriage; “it is refusing even to listen to the past.” Every human society since the beginning of time has followed the tradition and belief system that marriage is between one man and one woman.