One PA State Representative has proposed a resolution to honor the largest abortion business in Pennsylvania – Planned Parenthood – for their 100th anniversary.
Here are 100 reasons why that is a terrible idea:
Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion business in Pennsylvania:
- Over half of all abortions in PA happen at Planned Parenthood.
- There are 48 abortions performed every day at Planned Parenthood in PA.
- Even though the number of abortions has dropped significantly in PA since 2008, Planned Parenthood is actually performing more abortions annually now than it did in 2008.
- Abortion is down nationwide by 12% since 2010. For Planned Parenthood it is only down by 1.6% since 2010.
- Eight of the ten largest abortion sites in PA are Planned Parenthood.
- At a minimum, patient fees from abortion represented at least $7.3 million in revenue for 2013.
- Planned Parenthood charges as much as $1,500 per abortion and does more than half of the 35,000 abortions in Pennsylvania every year.
- Planned Parenthood has been found to run “meat-market style” abortion facilities.
- Planned Parenthood has been found to misinform patients about life-saving facts regarding the abortion pill.
- Two Pennsylvania Planned Parenthood facilities recently failed inspection, were storing aborted babies in janitors closet.
- Planned Parenthood PA staffers are interested in profiting from the sale of aborted babies. “A company…that wants to give our organization money for the tissue, I think that’s a valid exchange.”
- Planned Parenthood is “very misleading” (Washington Post) in their false claim of 3% of their services account for abortion. By their own numbers, one in eight women that walk into Planned Parenthood have an abortion.
- Planned Parenthood has closed six facilities since 2013 – none of them being sites that performed surgical abortions.
Taxpayers help fund Planned Parenthood:
14. Planned Parenthood in Pennsylvania receives over $5 million every year from taxpayers.
15. In 2015, over 25% of the total revenue for Planned Parenthood Keystone (one of three regions for Planned Parenthood in PA) came from taxpayer dollars.
16. Nationally, Planned Parenthood receives on average $500 million annually in taxpayer dollars.
17. In 2013-2014, more than 40% of Planned Parenthood’s national budget – $528 million– came from taxpayers.
18. Planned Parenthood’s president, Cecile Richards, makes a salary of $600,000 while her organization continues to be subsidized by more than $450 million in federal funds and millions more from state taxpayers.
Planned Parenthood is a politically-driven organization:
19-47. Planned Parenthood has given direct campaign contributions to 29 current PA lawmakers.
- The State Representative introducing the Planned Parenthood resolution has received direct donations from Planned Parenthood.
- Cecile Richards, Planned Parenthood’s President nationally: “We aim to be the largest kick-butt political organization.”
- According to their own campaign finance reporting, Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania has spent over $1 million since 2014.
- Planned Parenthood spent $1.3 million in an ad buy against U.S. Senator Pat Toomey and likened him to a termite.
- Nationally, Planned Parenthood plans to spend a record $30 million dollars on this election cycle – double what it spent last cycle.
- Planned Parenthood is spending record amounts of money in PA to elect pro-choice legislators. “We are thrilled to be in the middle of the biggest political operation yet.” – Planned Parenthood PA PAC Executive Director
- Planned Parenthood dropped $100,000 against one State Representative candidate (and lost).
- They endorse candidates – in 2014 only 38% of Planned Parenthood endorsed candidates won their election.
- Over $230,000 in direct campaign contributions from Planned Parenthood PA Advocates during 2012. “Working in partnership with the five Planned Parenthood affiliates in Pennsylvania,” their goal is to elect state officials who favor abortion.
- Planned Parenthood worked (unsuccessfully) to unseat the cousin of Semika Shaw, who was killed after an abortion by Kermit Gosnell.
- Planned Parenthood was allegedly found to break tax rules by spending more than the allowed 50% of total spending on political candidates.
Government should neither fund nor honor an organization that lobbies in favor of abortion:
- Planned Parenthood promotes a legislative scorecard that currently rates Pennsylvania elected officials based on their pro-abortion views towards four votes.
- Planned Parenthood claims it is “extreme” to end late-term abortion; which currently totals only 1% of all abortions.
- Planned Parenthood tries to blur the truth by pointing solely to their own poll data to claim limiting abortion at 20 weeks is “unpopular” yet polls from Quinnipiac, Gallup, Huffington Post and ABC News show the popular opinion is limiting abortion to the first 20 weeks.
- Planned Parenthood says it is “dangerous” to make abortion clinics follow the same rules and inspection laws as every other surgical facility in the state.
- Planned Parenthood falsely claimed the new law that treats abortion clinics like any other surgical facility and requires safety inspections was “a strategy that will ultimately put a majority of abortion care facilities out of business in PA” and “aimed at making abortion inaccessible in Pennsylvania.” The law passed in 2012 and the vast majority of abortion facilities are still in business.
- Planned Parenthood hosted a summit in Pittsburgh this year to recruit abortion activists to help “pink out the vote.”
- Planned Parenthood views the recent Supreme Court ruling in Texas on abortion clinic as “an opening to re-evaluate PA’s current restrictions.”
- Planned Parenthood advocated against the Hahn family of Lancaster County in order to force their family to violate their religious conscience by paying for abortion-causing drugs for their employees.
- Planned Parenthood opposes current PA law on a 24-hour waiting period before an abortion.
- Planned Parenthood opposes current PA law on parental consent.
- Planned Parenthood appears to celebrate the passing of a pro-life leader by saying: “Phyllis is gone, but we can’t forget that her message still affects too many of our policy makers.”
- They turn their patients “into activists” by patching them through to elected officials while in the waiting room.
- Nationally, Planned Parenthood has lobbied against the Mexico City Policy – which prevents federal funding for performing or promoting abortion internationally.
- Planned Parenthood supports Governor Wolf’s proposed Bathroom Bills and were “staunch supporters” of last session’s HB300.
Pennsylvania officials should consider defunding Planned Parenthood:
- Nearly ¼ of states have recently defunded Planned Parenthood.
- Congress approved defunding Planned Parenthood and came just short of overriding President Obama’s veto.
- Planned Parenthood officials were caught on unedited video discussing the sale of aborted babies.
- Congressional panel probing into the financial relationship between Planned Parenthood and Stem Express has found probable cause into the sale of aborted baby body parts and voted in favor of finding Stem Express in contempt of court.
- Additional videos have shown Planned Parenthood staffers complicit with aiding the trafficking of minors, covering up child abuse and allowing sex-selective abortion.
A breakdown of Planned Parenthood’s non-abortion services:
- Zero mammograms will be given by Planned Parenthood this year.
- Planned Parenthood CEO Cecile Richards claimed if they are defunded women would lose access “to basic family planning, you know, mammograms.”
- Cancer screening services at Planned Parenthood facilities are down. Nationally, between 2006 – 2013, Planned Parenthood cut breast cancer screenings in half. And from 2013 to 2014 alone, the two biggest regions of Planned Parenthood in PA – Keystone and Southeastern – dropped pap tests by 32% while the Western region had breast exams drop 18%.
- Of Planned Parenthood’s prenatal services, 94% are abortion.
- Adoption is not even mentioned in any of the annual reports for the Planned Parenthood PA regions.
- For every adoption referral reported, Planned Parenthood carries out 161 abortions.
- Adoption referrals are down 12% over the last four reporting cycles.
- Women have reported having a difficult time obtaining adoption information through Planned Parenthood staffers. They had promoted statutory rape not being a mandatory reportable incident.
- Patients would “complain to [Planned Parenthood] staff about the conditions” at late-term abortionist and now-convicted murderer Kermit Gosnell and they did nothing to stop him.
- Fewer women are going to Planned Parenthood as there are many other health care facilities available that offer more comprehensive care.
Planned Parenthood’s Appalling Sex-Ed Curriculum:
- Planned Parenthood has received praise from the porn industry. “Planned Parenthood is an excellent organization.” – Pornography producer
- Planned Parenthood encourages 9-year-olds to view porn.
- Planned Parenthood encourage teens to take part in a BDSM relationship and point to this type of violent sex on their website without any warnings.
- They use a resource that calls for “safely” engaging in allegedly sexual activities such as playing with feces, drinking urine, and beating one’s partner. The site leaves open the possibility that “curiosity about sexual contact with animals may be normal[.]”
- Planned Parenthood tells teens “anything within the sexual world is normal as long as it is consensual.”
- Planned Parenthood Western PA praises the good advice of Dan Savage, who has advocated that a PA political candidate “should be dragged behind a pickup truck until there’s nothing left but the rope” and verbally attacked Christian teens at a national high school journalism conference.
- They declare it is your “right” to “decide if, when, and how to disclose their [sic] HIV status.”
- Planned Parenthood actively lobbies against funding for abstinence-only education.
From the Founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger:
- “We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population.”
- Immigrants and the poor “are…human weeds,’ ‘reckless breeders,’ ’spawning… human beings who never should have been born.”
- “Birth control is nothing more or less than the facilitation of the process of weeding out the unfit, of preventing the birth of defectives or of those who will become defective.” “I associated poverty, toil, unemployment, drunkenness, cruelty, quarreling, fighting, debts, jails with large families.”
- “I think the greatest sin in the world is bringing children into the world – that have disease from their parents, that have no chance in the world to be a human being practically. Delinquents, prisoners, all sorts of things just marked when they’re born. That to me is the greatest sin – that people can – can commit.”
It would go against current Pennsylvania law for legislators to honor the state’s largest abortion business:
- “In every relevant civil or criminal proceeding in which it is possible to do so without violating the Federal Constitution, the common and statutory law of Pennsylvania shall be construed so as to extend to the unborn the equal protection of the laws and to further the public policy of this Commonwealth encouraging childbirth over abortion.” – Pennsylvania Abortion Control Act